3-year Midwifery studies is a full-time programme (classes are held from Monday to Friday). There is a possibility to enrol in a full-time seven semesters (3.5 year) study (classes are held on particular days of the week).
Being a midwife is to take complex and professional midwifery, gynaecological, neonatal and nursing care. As a member of a medical interdisciplinary team a midwife takes part in the process of diagnosing and treating patients during their pregnancy, childbirth, postpartum period and those with gynaecological disorders.
The competences of a midwife are connected mostly with planning and fulfilling an individual caring process taking into consideration holistic view on the patients’ needs and problems.
The programme of the study enables students to gain professional knowledge and skills which will allow them to pursue their career path as well as to continue study on the second cycle level.
During the three year course of study students accomplish 4,870 hours of classes, including 2,300 hours of practical classes and vocational placement.
Apart from their field subjects, students also study foreign languages, so that, after graduating, they could function both in their home country and abroad. The University has a positive opinion of the Polish Accreditation Committee and the State Council of Medical Education. A graduate in Midwifery is awarded the degree of Bachelor of Midwifery and this diploma is recognized in the European Union countries.
A graduate in Midwifery possesses good theoretical knowledge and practical skills which enable him/her to work as a midwife. A graduate in Midwifery is prepared for his/her individual professional activity and will show:
- knowledge of medical sciences, especially perinatal medicine, neonatology, gynaecology ad nursing, humanities and social sciences;
- ability to provide health services to a woman and her family, a pregnant woman, a parturient, a woman in postpartum period and a newborn child, offering health promotion, prevention and professional midwifery and gynaecological care;
- ability to cooperate in an interdisciplinary team in terms of prevention and diagnosis process, treatment and rehabilitation;
- ability to recognize and monitor normal pregnancy, conduct natural childbirth and recognize abnormal conditions in a mother and her child during pregnancy, childbirth and postpartum period;
- ability to initiate and support the activities of a woman and her family in favour of health promotion and improvement of the level of the community`s health;
- ability to undertake rescue operations in sudden situations, choose appropriate ways of giving midwifery first aid according to professional qualifications and competences;
- ability to act according to the rules of general and professional ethics, and holistic approach to a patient with respect of her rights.
Graduates of the first cycle study in Midwifery can be hired, among others, in public and non-public units of inpatient and outpatient health care system, including basic health care, specialist inpatient care and others – according to gained qualifications.
The degree of Bachelor of Midwifery qualifies students for continuing their education on the second cycle studies and postgraduate studies.
Chosen Curriculum subjects
Anatomy, Physiology, Pathology, Embryology and Genetics, Biochemistry and Biophysics, Microbiology and Parasitology, Pharmacology, Radiology, Psychology, Sociology, Pedagogy, Law, Public Health, Philosophy and Professional Ethics of Midwife, English Language, Basics of Midwifery Care, Health Promotion, Basic Health Care, Dietetics, Physical Examination, Scientific Research in Midwifery, Hospital Infections, Midwifery Techniques and Labour Monitoring, Midwifery and Midwifery Care, Gynaecology and Gynaecological Care, Neonatology and Neonatal Care, Paediatrics and Paediatric Nursing, Internal Diseases, Surgery, Psychiatry, Anaesthesiology and Life-threatening Conditions, Rehabilitation in Midwifery, Neonatology and Gynaecology, Basics of Emergency Medical Care, Work Safety, Ozone Therapy.